Saturday, May 2, 2009

Kyla and other awesome blessings...

Today has been pretty good...Opened at work, was a super busy day which is fine by me (makes time go faster... There was a puppy adoption outside on the grass today and I decided to start volunteering with a rescue shelter, my dad visited me and I got a lot accomplished...good work day.
When I came home and took mom, dad and Tiff to the BEST pizza place I have ever been to! Prosciuttos Pizza off exit 28..to die for (Thanks Jo Ellen for introducing me to it!!!) And then my mom and I shopped around fresh market for awhile. Nice afternoon!

So, This has been a good week. Spent some time with new friends, and I am so happy that I have them in my life.
I am going to backtrack for a second to about 5 months ago and explain how I met one of my closest friends out here...

I was working one night (during the height of my homesickness and depression)...Apparently it was a Thursday (good memory Kyla!) When a lady came up and we got to chatting about the area and the weather and other random things. I mentioned how I was new to the area and hesitantly told her I was having a hard time. This lady then warmly welcomed me to NC and said she would pray for me, then took a seat in the lobby of Starbucks.
A couple hours later, she walked up with a girl and said to her "Have you met Brittany?" the girl said no, and this lady introduced me to my new friend Kyla. Kyla was in a very similar situation as me, had just moved out here from PA and was having a hard time also finding a job and making good quality friends. We exchanged information and have been hanging out ever since. She has been such a blessing. It is so nice to have someone to hang out with who has the same morals and values and is in the same place in life as I am...God is so cool.

So Kyla and I complained for awhile about our lack of jobs and friends and lives, and in retrospect, it is comical to the both of us. As we sat chatting over dinner at Cheeseburger in Paradise the other night, we decided that without a doubt God has a great sense of humor and loves to just rock our worlds. We were two people who were trying to figure life out on our terms, and He laughed at our plans and slowly revealed his own. Kyla now has an awesome job with promotion potential and a peace about things, as do I. Its been cool to have someone to go through this learning experience with. We has such a good time the other night laughing about things from our silly closet nerd/alcoholic waiter, to our crazy coworkers, and then realizing how far we have come the past few months. I am learning more and more each day.

I randomly met a girl last week who just moved here, also from CA, and seems to be in the same exact position that I was in just a few months ago. I am excited to hopefully find a new friend in her and hear her story.

Along with Kyla there have been a few other people who I now consider my friends. I have finally learned to let go of my stubborn "refuse to like NC" attitude and am getting closer to some amazing and unique people I have met around here. I really never thought I would adapt, but it is happening. (That is not to say I won't be back home eventually friends! Just give me some time :) ) I still miss my good friends like CRAZY, but distance has just been another one of those "road humps" (silly southern term!) in life that I've learned to overcome.

No comments: